Yellowstone Park entrance hours vary throughout the year but Yellowstone Park entrance fees remain the same year round. Park entrance fees simply depend on the type of vehicle, number of passengers, and Park pass that you have.
In this post, learn the basics for Yellowstone park entrance hours and fees.
Yellowstone Park Entrance Fees
Typically, Yellowstone Park entrance fees will cover a 7 day pass to the park. The park entrance fee will adjust based on the type of vehicle:
$35 for a single non-commercial vehicle (includes all passengers)
$20/person for buses (16 people or more)
$30 for a motorcycle or snowmobile
$20 individual person by foot, bike, or skis
$80 Annual National Park Pass allows you to access the parks (YNP & GTNP) for one full calendar year after issuance without having to pay additional fees. You can buy the pass at the entrance station.
$80 Interagency Pass affords the holder access to all federal “fee” sites across the country. These passes are available for $10 to senior citizens, and free to those who are blind or permanently disabled.
- Those 15 and younger are not charged fees for entry.
- The driver of a commercial vehicle is usually not charged for entry.
- The fee provides the visitor with a 7-day entrance permit for both Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, and must be shown upon each entry into either park.
Yellowstone Park entrance fees are taken from the National Park Service.
Yellowstone Park Entrance Hours and Access
Basic Yellowstone Park entrance hours are shared below. Most importantly, Yellowstone park entrance hours vary based on the time of year. Also, the hours may vary based on the different park entrances.
- The North and Northeast Entrances are open year round to wheeled vehicles. During the Winter snow tires or chains may be required.
- The East Entrance is open to wheeled vehicles from the first Friday in May through the first Sunday in November, and then to oversnow vehicles from December 22 through March 1st, road (and avalanche) conditions permitting.
- The South Entrance is open to wheeled vehicles from the second Friday in May through the first Sunday in November, and then to oversnow vehicles from December 15th until March 15th, road conditions permitting.
- The West Entrance is open to wheeled vehicles from the third Friday in April through the first Sunday in November, and then to oversnow vehicles from December 15th through March 15th, road conditions permitting.
The entrances are open 24 hours, 7 days a week during the summer season – mid April to the beginning of November, generally. It is possible if you arrive late at night or very early in the morning, there may not be a ranger on duty. This is normal. Pick up material left in the box for you, and be prepared to pay the admission fee upon your next entrance into the park. Note that it is not uncommon for rangers to stop people exiting the park and have them show their passes, so don’t assume that just because you got in for free that absolves you of the responsibility for paying the entrance fee. You can pay it at any ranger or entrance station in the park.
You do not need reservations to enter the park unless there are park closures. Your park entrance pass is good for seven days and is good for both Yellowstone and Grand Teton. If you enter from the south, you’ll pay your fees at the Grand Teton entrance station and will need to show your pass at the South Entrance gate of Yellowstone.
During the winter season, the inbound park gates do close at night, largely for safety reasons. Road maintenance and grooming operations are conducted at night. Access during winter is limited to commercially-guided tour groups using snowmobiles or snowcoaches.
All vehicle operators, including those operating motorcycles and snowmobiles, are required to possess a valid drivers license.
Yellowstone Park Entrance Hours FAQ
When does Yellowstone open?
Yellowstone Park is open 24/7 year-round through the North and Northeast entrances.
When does the south entrance to Yellowstone open?
The South Yellowstone entrance opens around the 2nd week of May, pending winter snowfall for all vehicles. During winter, off road vehicles can access this entrance from December 15th until March 15th.
What time does the Yellowstone west entrance open?
The Yellowstone west entrance opens the 3rd Friday of April to all vehicles. During winter, off road vehicles can access this entrance from December 15th until March 15th.
Do all Yellowstone entrances open at the same time?
No. While the North and Northeast entrances are open year round, other Yellowstone Park entrances are only open seasonally. Refer to the info above.
When does Yellowstone Park close?
Yellowstone does not close. It is open 24/7 year round. However, some park entrances are only open during certain times of year.
In summary, Yellowstone Park entrance hours vary by entrance and time of year. Check hours to plan your trip before you go. There is no need to purchase your park entry in advance. However, Yellowstone park entrance fees will vary based on your vehicle and/or number of people. Enjoy your visit!